Sugar and Spice
Halloween is almost here! As much as I’d like to do a zombie tutorial, I’ve yet to find a large amount of liquid latex here. I’ve done a small one, and I posted the photo on my instagram and twitter! Please follow me on instagram/twitter if you haven’t already done so.
I’ve decided to do 2 looks in this tutorial. One look is more on the pretty and wearable, the other look is more vampy and goth. I wanted to re-do the eye makeup from my published work at Coco magazine (here) on myself since I fell madly in love with a super thick black cat eyeliner. The cat eyeliner made me reached for my contact lenses and I decided to put it on just for fun. Oh also, this extreme winged/cat-eye liner has been seen on Rihanna too!
For this tutorial, I used a pink eyeshadow on the eyes and cheeks called Sweet Strawberry from L’oreal Infallible eyeshadow collection to show my support for Breast Cancer Awareness month! I believe I’ve received a very “pink” package from L’oreal Canada but I’ve yet to open it since I’m not in Canada at the moment, but since I have this shadow, I decided to use it first.
Also, this tutorial will show you how easy it is to get the perfect winged/cat-eye liner in this tutorial. For the winged/cat-eye liner you’ll need: 1) tape (or in my case, I used a labeling sticker), 2) small angled brush (I used MAC 263) and 3) Gel liner (I used MUFE Aqua Black).
Let’s get this rolling!
1. Stick the tape to your hand and release it. Repeat this step several times until the tape isn’t too sticky. If it is too sticky, it might pull your skin.
2. Find an imaginary line from the outer corner of your eye to the tip of the brow. Place the tape and try to match the angle of the tape on the other eye.
3. Once you’re satisfied with the angle of the tape, prep your eyes with primer if needed.
4. I applied MAC Pearl cream base all over my eyelid all the way up to the brow bone.
5. Using a flat eyeshadow brush, I applied MAC Hush eyeshadow on the inner half of the eyelid.
6. Using the same eyeshadow brush, I applied L‘oreal Infallible eyeshadow in Sweet Strawberry on the outer half of the eye up to the crease.
7. Now, for the fun part:
- Using the angled eyeliner brush and gel liner, apply eyeliner on the upper lashline as you’d usually do with a pencil liner. Try to apply this line thin.
- Once you are satisfied with the line, flip your brush and make sure the LONGER side is facing up. Your brush should be parallel to the tape.
- Place your brush right against the tape and pull it to the middle of the lid. You should end up with a triangle.
- Fill the triangle up and re-do the liner according to the thickness to your liking.
- Pull the tape off your face and you’ll end up with a perfect straight line!
- confusing? may be I should do a video tutorial? (leave comments below)
8. Once the upper liner is completed, I used Urban Decay Perversion eyeliner on the tightline and waterline.
9. Using the same angled brush, I used whatever is left on the brush and created a thick liner on the lower lash-line. I connected this lower liner to the “wing”.
10. I curled my lashes and applied mascara on top and bottom lashes. Also filled in my brows using a clean angled brush and mixture of MAC Omega and MAC Brun eyehadows.
11. For the goth/vampy look, I applied fake lashes on both top and bottom lashes.
12. For the face, I applied L’oreal Magic Lumi Foundation all over my face using Sigma Round Kabuki brush.
13. Using a MAC 129 brush, I applied L’oreal Sweet Strawberry shadow on my cheeks.
14. Using MAC 109 brush, I applied MAC Blunt contour shadow on the hollows of the cheeks, jawline and the side of my nose.
15. For the wearable/pretty look, I applied whatever is left on the foundation brush on my lips and applied a clear lipgloss. If you want this to be on the “prettier” side, you can apply a pink/peach/mauve/rose lipstick instead of going nude lips.
16. For the vampy/goth look, I lined my lips using a red lipliner from Complections (that’s my old makeup school).
17. Then I applied a red lipstick by Revlon called Ravish Me Red all over the lips.
18. To make the center of the lips darker, I applied a black lipstick from MAC. I don’t know what it’s called since I put this on a lip palette and I didn’t put the name on it. If you do not have a black lipstick, apply a black pencil liner in the center of the lips and blend it with the red lipstick.
19. Then I applied a clear lipgloss over the lips to complete the look.
20. If you’re oily, apply powder to set the face.